auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Summer Book

The Summer Book - Tove Jansson, Esther Freud, Thomas Teal Delightful and dour all at the same time. So many things to like, especially the relationship between Sophia and her grandmother. One of the things I liked best though was the expansiveness of time and rest in the book. Everyone, even hard-working Papa, is slipping away to take a nap at various times. Expanding on the sleeping aspect -- I was just reading Transcendence, about TM. There is a discussion of sleep there. When people in dark climates sleep for 14 hours, they traditionally break their sleep into two parts, with a "watch" intermission. Although the family in this book is describing summertime, with extended daylight, I found their sleep patterns so pronouncedly different than ours -- and yet, a bit familiar from my older rural Irish relatives. Interesting.