auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption

What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption - Rachel Botsman, Roo Rogers, Kevin Foley I found this very readable and inspiring. It did ratchet up my sense of environmental guilt -- but that was coming from me, and not the book. Liked the “Barter, swap or pass on this book” ‘library sign-out’ card inside the front cover. “We wrote this book because we believe we are in an optimistic and momentous time of change around our consumer system. We hope this period will be regarded as the transition away from consumption for consumption’s sake, and away from the fear of what will happen to the economy when this ethos is abandoned.” P. 223 4 principles of collaborative consumption1) critical mass, 2) idling capacity. Ownership of a product you use for just a few minutes makes no sense. , 3) belief in the commons, 4) trust between strangers“Better than ownership” “if you’ve ever rented a car, you will be familiar with the advance bookings, waiting lines, paperwork and interaction with the agent explaining all the hidden costs and reminding you of your status as a “renter.” Sometimes you don’t even end up with the car you booked. And then there are all the restrictions around when you can pick up the rental, the minimum time you can rent it for, and when you need to return it. But the Internet and GPS technologies eliminate these hassles, enabling car-sharing services such as Zipcar and Streetcar to be almost 100% self-service. … It’s a great example of how modern product service systems are changing the stigma and frame of reference of old-fashioned renting, leasing, or pooling into an experience far closer to the associations, convenience, and control benefits of ownership.” P. 100-101$ savings and carbon effects of car sharing. “Average car users save an estimated $600 per month when they switch to car sharing. Not only are all the peripheral costs of owning a car removed, but also when people car share, they think twice about whether a car is necessary for that trip. … Car sharers report reducing their vehicle miles traveled by 44% (addressing travel congestion) and surveys in Europe show CO2 emissions are being cut up to 50% per user. “ p. 114Great ideas:usedcardboardboxes.com/taxi.to.com/Relay rides – peer to peer car rental“The EPA estimated that 98% of all waste is industrial (and a large % is made manufacturing new products) and only 2% is household waste. As much as we recycle our paper, bottles, and plastic, the biggest way to help prevent waste is to buy less new stuff and reuse and redistribute more of what we already have. … The second benefit and unintended consequence of reuse is community building. “ p. 130. -- Would have liked a footnote/documentation for this fact. “Freecycle and craigslist show how the Internet can be used to create vast decentralized systems of redistribution that are predominantly self-organized. … They provide the minimum infrastructure to empower members to work things out among themselves. … As with so many other forms of Collaborative Consumption, by pushing power back out to its users, these redistribution markets encourage people to manage their own actions and the actions of the entire community. This in turn creates high degrees of trust and reciprocity to efficiently move surplus stuff from nonuse to reuse.” P. 136Redefining value. “The simplicity of the measurement of GDP is also its downfall. The argument against GDP fetishism is that we are more than what we make. “ p. 221