auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie

The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie - Wendy McClure "And then, for a while afterward, one question kept nagging at me: what would LIW think of all this -- the home-steading movement, Sam and Heidi Ackerson, the Wisconsin church group and their preparedness retreats? Like Rose, Laura disliked FDR and the public-works programs of the New Deal. They both valued self-reliance (so much so that in the Little House books they'd made the fictional Ingalls family more independent that the real one); they likely would have admired some of the homesteaders' efforts and been impressed by Heidi's kitchen. I already suspected that if the adult Laura were alive today, there'd be something of a cultural divide between us." p.205"And then it all started to feel less certain. Nothing had changed; there hadn't been any disappointments. And yet behind all my expectations there was a restlessness that I hadn't accounted for at all. It kept insisting that something wasn't right. What was wrong? And just then I knew exactly what it was: what was wrong was that I was not Laura,I actually laughed out loud a little bit in the restaurant when I had that thought. I was not Laura Ingalls Wilder! And this was not my town, with its 15mph speed limit, and its highway display of memorial crosses for the unborn babies of SD. I did not like the heat or the stillness...And I wanted so badly to love the place, with its decor of beribboned haystacks and old town photos, that I did not like my feelings, which were beginning to extend to other things, radiating outward like rings on the surface of Silver Lake." p.277Nice exploration of the books and the phenomenon of LTOP, revisited as an adult.