auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Don't Stop Believin': How Karaoke Conquered the World and Changed My Life

Don't Stop Believin': How Karaoke Conquered the World and Changed My Life - Brian Raftery Journalist traces the evolution of karaoke from its small beginnings to mainstream phenomenon. He intersperses his own (and family) experience with karaoke, with interviews of people who made karaoke equipment, ran karaoke places, enter in karaoke competitions, etc. It's a quirky history, but well paced and well written. My favorite parts were when he would analyze what made karaoke enjoyable (which I have never tried), and what made certain songs work for karaoke - not necessarily his favorite songs. They need certain characteristics to work as karaoke. "When I actually perform a song, its merits are not measured aesthetically, but pragmatically: Does this song take too long to the chorus? Have I forgotten how the intro goes? Will it be performed 5 more times tonight? If I wimp out before the bridge, will I be disturbing any grooves? More often than not, karaoke rewards songs that appeal to our base desires, not our intellect."Songs he seeks out to sing when in Japan: "Daft Punk, "One more time"-- We actually didn't need to come all the way to Japan just to sing "one more time" as it is available at karaoke bars throughout America. But much like "Sister Christian," it flaunts many of those karaoke-song rules I laid out earlier: Though the track is basically one single chorus -- and despite the fact that anyone living in NYC in the early 2000s has heard that chorus hundreds of times by now -- "One more time" somehow retains a sense of mystery. I will never grow tired of hearing it, and if there's a heaven, "One more time" is always playing in the food court." I really enjoyed his detailed discussion of songs, and self-depreciating manner of describing his aging, maturing, changes of relationships, that all happens against the background of how he consumes and appreciates karaoke. Written with affection and humor, but well written and tight.