auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Under a Wing

Under a Wing - I picked this up because it was mentioned in the bibliography of Name all the animals as an example of siblings affected by the death of a sibling that they did not know. I confess that I really know almost nothing about the Lindbergh baby, or the Lindberghs in general. I read some, skimmed some and probably read about half over all. The key chapter is called The Lost Baby and deals with how the first baby was not discussed by her father ever< the mother rarely< and not among the siblings> "With us, there was perhaps a feeling of constraint caused by our parents' silence, though it was certainly not a question of being forbidden to talk about him."Reeve goes on to relate that her own first son died of a seizure related to infant encephalitis, in his crib, shortly before his second birthday. She bonds with her mother over this experience. Her mother is in the house at the time, and insists that Reeve hold her baby -- an experience that she did not have. "From then on, it was as if my life had been cleaved: everything before the day of Jonny's death belonged to one person, and everything afterward to another."Reeve's next son is born two years after Jonny died, and was delivered with a stillborn twin. Reeve does speak to Benjamin of his brother Jonny and the twin (although she does not name the twin in the book, or even give the twin's sex), although sparingly, because she does not want him to be burdened with the stories. It wouldn't be my choice, but it is hers. I may not have done the book justice, but it didn't really capture me except for my interest in how she writes about these aspects of her family's life. She also loses her sister in middle age. She talks at length about her sister's qualities, but does not describe (unless I missed it in skimming) how her sister died and how she felt about that.