auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

I See You Everywhere

I See You Everywhere - Julia Glass There was potential here, but I don't think this book quite achieved its potential. My main problem was that I just didn't like the two sisters very much. Louisa, four years older and prissy and prim. Clem, younger, more athletic, more daring. Both of them involved in a dizzying sequence of men, especially Clem. I think that Louisa was more fleshed out but not likable. Clem had potential to be liked, but wasn't very fleshed out. It starts out when their great aunt has died. Clem has been staying with the aunt in Vermont as a companion. Louisa travels there to claim the jewelry that she wants. After that, we see the sister's lives every couple years in a new place, often with new men, sometimes with a variation on what kind of work they are doing. Although they are somewhat stable in their occupations: Louisa is a writer about arts (dabbles in pottery herself, but moves on to writing /editing) and Clem is a wildlife biologist. The chapters also alternate between their points of view. In the beginning they cover the same visit from the two points of view, and then they diverge more as they grow older. Eventually Clem commits suicide and there's about a quarter to a third of the book after that with just Louisa. Louisa has been diagnosed with cancer, so Clem's suicide is a surprise and I did not expect it. In spite of this surprising plot turn, I still didn't warm up to the characters more. Louisa's life comes together somewhat better with a better man, his two stepsons that live with them (she met this husband at a survivors of suicide group that they both went to just once. His former wife had killed herself), and her godson, the son of an artist that she promoted. I don't know, something just felt like it was missing, and not quite satisfying about the story.