auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

The Middle Place (Voice)

The Middle Place - Kelly Corrigan My feelings about Kelly changed as I read the book. First I really liked her, but as the book went on (not long, a quick read), I found her immature, self-centering and grating at times. At the same time, trying to cut her some slack for what she was going through and her seeming honesty about it all, including her character shortcomings.She's 36, married, two kids, newspaper columnist, daddy's girl after all these years. She finds a lump, and it's breast cancer. Not long after, her father is diagnosed with a late stage bladder cancer, after having survived early bouts with prostate cancer. The chapters alternate between her memories of growing up in the Corrigan family, under her amazing father George, the Green Man, Greenie, etc. She also has 2 older brothers, Booker and GT, and a long suffering mother. Her husband is Edward, Ed, Eddie, Ark, Ark Eddie, etc. Her daughters are Georgia (after her father, also known as Peach) and Claire (or Clairey). Here's the quote on the page corner I turned down: "I learned, in time, how parents instinctively occupy their children with petty chatter or new dolls while the fights, the crying, the peril of life swirls mercifully over their heads. I also learned that preserving your children's untroubled state is vital. It is the thing that you say to yourself late in the night, the thing that finally lets you fall asleep. At least, you say, the kids are okay." p. 113