auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think

168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think - Laura Vanderkam A better-than-average how-to-use-your-time-well book. I think it digs a little deeper and goes beyond the cliches.She says 168 hours are plenty. I'm not sure I'm convinced, but I feel less inclined to whine about it after reading this book. Suggestions.Keep a time log. See how you are actually using your time. Everyone thinks the week they record is not a typical week. Record another week, if so. You may find similar patterns. Classify your time (from the log) into categories. If you're spending a lot of your time on things that are not your core competencies, you'll want to change that going forward. Draw up a list of 100 dreams -- as many activities as possible that you'd like to try or accomplish. Cross off the ones that you've done and note how they made you feel. Identifying core competencies: What do I do best, that other people cannot do nearly as well?What things do I spend time on that other people could do, or could do better?Work in the right job. If you are in the right job, you will be more productive and creative than you would otherwise be. Does my job tap into my intrinsic motivations (things I loved as a kid or would do for free)? Does my job give me a reasonable amount of autonomy? Am I challenged to the extent of my abilities? Do my work environment, organization and coworkers encourage my best work? If the answer is "no" to any of these four questions, what can I change? In the next week? In the next year? Can I create the right job within my organization? Another organization? Or will I need to go out on my own? Gut-check question: If someone offered me a windfall to never do the "stuff" of my work again, how would I feel about that? Control your calendar. Do not mistake things that look like work for actual work (inefficient use of email, etc). Get rid of non-core-competency tasks by ignoring, minimizing, or outsourcing them. Boost efficiency by getting better at what you do. What do I want to accomplish, professionally, in the next year? What actionable steps will these goals require? How many hours will these steps take? How many hours do I want to work per week? Are my goals reasonable in this time frame? Where can I block these tasks in to my work schedule? What do I want off my plate at work? Of these things, what can I ignore? Minimize? Outsource How can I get better at my professional craft. These are some signs that I have gotten better at my professional craft over the years (list). Anatomy of a breakthrough.Know what the next level looks like. Picture it as vividly as possible. Do you know someone else who has achieved a similar breakthrough? What steps did s/he take? Who were the decision makers? What do these people care about? Understand the metrics and gatekeepers.Work up to the point of diminishing returns.Spin a good story. What is your story? Why does achieving the next level make sense? If someone were to write a profile of you, what would it say? Do other people know about your goals?Be open to possibilities and plan for opportunities. Be ready to ride the wave. If you did achieve your breakthrough, what would you do next?Home. Consider outsourcing. Don't do your own laundry. Have someone clean the house or cook. Try online grocery shopping or prepared meals. Look at laundry, food chores, housekeeping and lawn maintenance, and general household management for you and your partner. How much time are you both spending? Which tasks do each of you like most? Which tasks do you like least? How could you ignore, minimize or outsource these tasks? Leveraging your leisure time.Choose a small number of activities that bring you the most happiness. One of these has to be exercise. Create blocks in your schedule for these activities.Commit enough time, energy, and resources to make them meaningful.Use the principle of alignment (not multi-tasking, more along the idea of two birds with one stone) to build in more time with family and friends, or for leisure generallyUse bits of time for bits of joy. -- Make a list of activities that take a half hour or less, and another list of activities that take less than 10 minutes. Incorporate these into your day. Plan so they can happen when the time presents itself. Revisit this regularly as schedules change. Stay on track.