auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Our Black Year: A Tale of Buying Black in America's Racially Divided Economy

Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy - Maggie Anderson This one is complicated and three stars saying "I like it" doesn't quite cover it. Thought-provoking, yes. Inspiring -- I'm not sure. The message gets a little muddled there. The idea seems like it should work, but almost all of the businesses that she highlights are out of business by the end of the book. Enlightening, certainly. After reading this book, I watched Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. Interesting to think about the discussions of the lack of black-owned stores in black neighborhoods in these two different presentations. Maggie's question throughout the book was why her friends and others did not shop at Farmer's Best? But the question to me was why didn't people from the Farmer's Best neighborhood shop there? She never really addressed that. Without truly local support, a small grocery store is not going to survive. The spreadsheet summary: "Over the next few days John and I examined our spreadsheet ... did some number crunching, and found our unofficial tally: We'd spent about 70% of our after-tax income, or about $70k, with Black-owned businesses. Then we took a look at how our spending had trended pre- and post-EE. In general, we spent less in nearly every category except gas, which isn't surprising considering all the driving we did." p. 198