auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

The Art of Dementia Care

The Art of Dementia Care - Daniel Kuhn Geared to people working in a dementia setting, but there are certainly take-aways for families as well. "Professor Albert Mhebrabian, known for his pioneering work in the field of human communication, discovered that the meaning of our words is mainly communicated non-verbally. He found that only 7% of communication comes through words, 38% through voice and the way words are spoken, and 55% through body language, including facial expression and eye contact. Thus, 93% of communication does not rely upon spoken words. Non-verbal communication skills are far more effective than verbal skills! People with dementia slowly lose the ability to use and interpret words, but they still know how to communicate non-verbally." p. 41Speaking skills- Make contact.- Ask the right question. "Instead of asking, "Would you like...?" you say, "Earl, I have come to invite you to an outing. I would like you to be my guest." Think about the difference between being asked versus being invited. An invitation implies that you are special and that you are needed. ... Keep in mind that it is not enough to get the wording right -- you need to truly mean what you say when you extend an invitation. - Choose positive words. "Never say, 'Do you remember me?' Or even worse, 'Don't you remember me?' Instead, begin with a proper introduction, ... then state your purpose... You may continue on a cheerful note by saying, 'I am so glad to see you,' instead of asking 'How are you?'- Use simple words and a slow pace. - Use different sensory cues. - Use reminiscence. "Never ask factual question such as, 'Where was this photo taken? What is this called? Who took this photo? [Instead]: -- What do you see in this picture? What does this picture say to you? How do you feel when you look at this picture? What do you think about this picture?'" p. 44- 49