auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

The Man Who Quit Money

The Man Who Quit Money - Mark Sundeen Thought provoking book. Very well written. I haven't explored Daniel Suelo's website yet (the man who quit money), but I suspect that Mark Sundeen has done an excellent job of explaining a difficult, nuanced, and multi-faceted individual and his ideas to us (perhaps better than Suelo could do himself)."Which is all a way of saying: the whole project of changing the world is hard work. And as much as we seek a balance, straddling the line between individualism and community isn't a recipe for freedom. It's the opposite. When you try to balance the anxiety of maintaining wealth (savings, mortgages, insurance) with the anxiety of being an ethical person (eating local food, lunching with hobos, reusing baggies, withholding taxes), you don't free yourself from either. You end up with twice as much anxiety. It's sort of like going on a diet. Unless you're willing to go all in -- run 6 miles a day and eat only fish and broccoli -- you'll never have those sculpted abs you see in magazines. But neither will you have the unabashed joy of scarfing double-frosted chocolate cake. Instead you nibble away at half a piece, your enjoyment negated by your guilt that you couldn't refuse it altogether. The person with the least worry over the compromises he must make is, of course, the person who doesn't compromise: Suelo. "Before, my hardships were long-term, complex anxieties," he says: "What am I going to do with my life, how am I going to pay rent and pay insurance, what's retirement going to be like, what am I going to do for a career, what are people going to think if I do this or that? To me that stuff was unbearable. And I think most people are dealing with it. Now my hardships are simple and immediate: food, shelter, and clothing. They're manageable because they're in the present." p. 241