auntieannie

Man's Search for Meaning
Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Orality and Literacy (New Accents)

Orality and Literacy: The Technologizing of the Word - Walter J. Ong A very thought-provoking book for me. Not a quick or an easy read, but worth the effort. Really makes me realize how much our thinking and worldview is affected by print literacy. I also don't recall any discussion in my literature of how reading the Odyssey, Socrates, etc. were such a different experience than how these 'texts' were originally experienced. I started making notes here, but completed them in evernote, as I lost some of my updates in goodreads. Oral cultures -- those cultures with no knowledge whatsoever of writing or even the possibility of writing. "Try to imagine a culture where no one has ever 'looked up' anything. In a primary oral culture, the expression 'to look up something' is an empty phrase: it would have no conceivable meaning. ..."To learn what a primary oral culture is and what the nature our problem is regarding such a culture, it helps first to reflect on the nature of sound itself as sound. All sensation takes place in time, but sound has a special relationship to time unlike that of the other fields that register in human existence. Sound exists only when it is going out of existence. It is not simply perishable but essentially evanescent." p.32Mnemonics and formulasSuppose a person in an oral culture would undertake to think through a particular complex problem and would finally manage to articulate a solution which itself if relatively complex, consisting, of a few hundred words. How does he retain for later recall the verbalization so painstakingly elaborated? ... Think memorable thoughts. In a primary oral culture, to solve effectively the problem of retaining and retrieving carefully articulated thought, you have to do your thinking in mnemonic patterns, shaped for ready oral recurrence. Your thought must come into being in heavily rhythmic, balanced patterns, in repetitions or antitheses, in alliterations and assonances, in epithetic and other formulary expressions, in standard thematic settings (the assembly, the meal, the duel, the hero's helper, and so on), in proverbs which are constantly heard by everyone so that they come to mind readily and which themselves are patterned for retention and ready recall, or in other mnemonic form. Serious thought is intertwined with memory systems. Mnemonic needs determine even syntax. p.23-24