auntieannie

Man's Search for Meaning
Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

The Tree: A Natural History of What Trees Are, How They Live, and Why They Matter

The Tree: A Natural History of What Trees Are, How They Live & Why They Matter - Colin Tudge I ran out of time with this one -- due back to the library before I am doing it justice. I'll probably take it out again at some point. The writing style is a bit dense and there aren't a lot of pictures (I do find that helpful in books about nature). However, what is there is quite a lot.4 sections: 1. What is a tree? A good intro/overview. I read this2. All the trees in the world -- broken into groups: conifers, magnolias, monocots, broadleaves, rose-like eudictots, daisy-like eudicots. Clearly a lot that I don't know in this section -- but I skipped it for now.3. The life of trees. (How trees live; which trees live where and why; the social life of trees: war or peace?)4. Trees and us (the future with trees). "Trees are good competitors. But they are also among the world's most exemplary cooperators, forming a host of mutualistic relationships for one purpose or another with an enormous variety of different creatures, from the bacteria and fungi that help them to feed to the many, many different kinds of animals that help them with different stages of their reproduction. Trees do not seem to be aware, as dogs and monkeys are aware. They do not have brains. But they are sentient in their way; they gauge what's going on as much as they need to, and they conduct their affairs as adroitly as any military strategist. Why be "aware" when you can simulate all that awareness brings? They surely don't think, as animals do. But they orchestrate their fellow creatures nonetheless. A forest is a forest because it has trees in it, not because it may have sloths and toucans or squirrels or chimpanzees. The trees are the prime players and the animals are the dependents." p. xv"But identification can be difficult for all kinds of reasons -- even identification of tress, which are big and conspicuous, and which do not run away. We have already seen the practical problem posed by some willows: that both leaves and flowers may be needed for identification but the two may not be present at the same time. Yet whatever problems may confront us in temperate climes, we can be sure that the tropics will pose far worse. In tropical forests, flowers, which are the principal guide to botanical identification, are usually absent. In season rain forests, many trees gear their flowering to the rains, so flowering is to some extent predictable. But much rain forest (as in much of Amazonia) is nonseasonal, and trees may flower at any time. ....The leaves may not be too helpful either, at least when viewed from the ground. ... The forest floor may be moist, but the topmost leaves of the canopy are far above it, and are exposed to the fiercest sun.... So the uppermost leaves must resist dessication. Yet from time to time, and in due season every day, they must also endure tremendous downpours. Leaves that can cope with such contrasts tend to be thick and leathery (to resist drought), oval in shape, and have a projection at the end like a gargoyle, known as a "drip tip," to shoot off surplus rain. Many hundreds of trees from dozens of only distantly related families have leaves of this general type.... Often, in short, you have nothing to look at but bark. The trunks of tropical trees are sometimes highly characteristic, deeply furrowed or twisted like macrame, but in most species the bark is simply smooth and gray, dappled with lichen and moss." p.24-25