auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture

Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture - Thomas Chatterton Williams "What they can & do respect is that almighty $. Like the Notorious B.I.G., they love the dough. It seems perfectly acceptable to them that you would study finance or management or even marketing or cosmetology, or that you would go to law school (altho another 3 yrs does seem a bit excessive). But it doesn't seem acceptable at all that you would contemplate the idea of personhood all day long and go to a fancy school just so you could bring home a $35,000 paycheck and drive a used Toyota Camry (they can drive something hotter than that working at UPS, they point out, and they don't have to waste 4 yrs in college to do it.) The idea that there was something to be had from education that goes beyond matl compensation is foreign and naive to them -- education is a means to an end and no end in itself. They do not phrase it like this, but that is exactly what they mean when they say: You be on that bullshit." .148-9."I was especially ignorant for a student at a place like Georgetown and in comparison to my well-travelled and well-informed friends.. . Until a much later age than either of them, I simply had never given much thought to what went on outside my own very tight-knit demographic. I didn't watch the news, I watched Black Entertainment Television. For 19 yrs, I had seldom ventured, mentally or physically, beyond the guarded borders of the only patria I really knew or cared for, which was the nation of hip-hop. Neither had very many of my fellow countrymen. It was as though we lived behind the old Iron Curtain, inundated with propaganda, forbidden to leave. Eventually most of us developed something like the Stockholm syndrome: we loved our captors and hated the world outside. Even tho I was trying to do better now, and trying hard, the adverse effects of a childhood and adolescence spent in this stultifying landscape lingered. It was not just complex but also basic what we lacked. No one I had hung with in high school had a passport or any interest in obtaining one. We understood places like Latin America and the Middle East by way of the rappers we grew up listening to, jokers with monikers like Noreaga [sic:] and Fatal Hussein -- hs dropouts who spun glib yarns of boat rides to narco-states, of getting tied up by Colombians, of dictating microphones with iron fists." p.164"Was it foolish of Clarence to speed & get a ticket in the 1st place? Yes, it was. And it was probably also exceedingly bad judgment on his part to attempt to enter the house -- regardless of whether there was proof inside of a change in date -- after the policeman instructed him not to. I cannot dispute that. But try as hard as I can -- and I have tried -- I fail to see any way that this could have happened to any of our white neighbors, in their own homes, and over an infraction so venial as a traffic ticket. It is simply unimaginable." p.175"Ellison's idea of discipline, of course, has roots in W.E.B. DuBois and his conception of the new Negro youth:We black folk may help [mankind:] for we have within us as a race new stirrings; stirrings of the beginning of a new appreciation of joy, of a new desire to create, of a new will to be . . . and there has come the conviction that the youth that is here today, the Negro youth, is a different kind of youth . . . with a realization of itself, with new determination for all of mankind. How poignantly do these words capture what was to come -- the figure of Martin Luther King, the jazz of John Coltrane, the fiction of Ralph Ellison, the nonviolent Civil Rights movement of the 1960's? How ludicrous and naive, how wildly off base, do they seem now in the age of 50 Cent?" p.216