auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally

Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally - Alisa Smith, J.B. MacKinnon Surprising to saw that I tagged this as something to read a couple of years and got to it now -- via a mention in No Impact Man. "I had the sensation that a window had opened, expanding the world. I had long been aware that there were different kinds of honey: alfalfa, clover, wildflower. They had always tasted more or less alike to me, none distinctive enough to be a "favorite." More mind-boggling was the idea of a honey so extraordinary in flavor that I actually might not like it. The epiphany felt urgent, a gentler version of that first adolescent kiss that tells you there's something good you've been missing out on all your life. I wanted to know these honeys. I wanted to live in this world where I had opinions on the harvests of bees." p. 58"It was another lesson of the 100-mile diet: There is just so much food. All the unpicked berries and potatoes left in the dirt, the "ugly fruit" that is deemed unworthy of the grocery shelves, the fishheads that never make it into a stockpot. Since spring we had learned about all the good eating we had been throwing in the trash, or at best the compost -- carrot tops, squash blossoms, every inch of the cauliflower plant. Take a single crop: the radish. We had eaten the baby greens, then the radish root itself, boiled the later greens for stock, tossed the flowers in salads, enjoyed the young seedpods as a hot, crunchy snack in early fall. Our inability to feed the world is not an agricultural failure; it is a failure both of imagination and of kindness. " p. 162I've read quite a few of these books by now, and I have liked most of them. I really liked this one. They all talk somewhat about the social and emotional impact of making changes in eating styles -- this one really explored in depth from lots of angles, including the impact on their relationship.