auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All - Marilyn Johnson I liked it -- certainly catches the excitement of being a librarian during this time of great change for libraries, and doesn't dwell on the negatives. But I couldn't get into the Second Life episodes, and all the emphasis on the quirky. I *got* it, but I didn't get why there was so much of it. "Sue Hamburger gave me good advice when I wrote to her about saving my work and my friends'. We should use open source software anytime we have a choice. She warned us against saving text files in Word, for instance, and urged us instead to use the generic (and free) rich text format (rtf). Proprietary programs like Word go out of date quickly, she pointed out, and there's no guarantee a company will stay in business or feel an obligation to keep information readable into the future. However we organized our files, we should keep notes about the reasons behind our decisions. Oh -- and if we were to be signing any books, we shouldn't use gel pens; their ink deteriorates. We should invest in a good archival-quality pen." p. 222."It needs to be easy to set up an online archive as it is to set up a blog," he said, and suddenly, all over town, bells tolled and horns honked and even the pigeons sang. Such a simple, lucid summary of my search. Like the best librarians and archivists, Greenberg [Josh of the NYPL:] had shown me how to figure out what I wanted to do, then pointed me toward the answer. I wanted to keep something from the Web that I could find again later. I wanted to keep what I read there alive." p 241-2. "This friendly embrace of anyone who walked through the door -- or called, or used the instant-message service -- was the mark of an evolved library. "The time soon will come when the idea of defining the clientele a library serves in very narrow, often geographically constrained terms will seem very quaint and old-fashioned," librarian Tom Peters wrote in a blog for the ALA." p.246"I was under the librarians' protection. Civil servants and servants of civility, they had my back. They would be whatever they needed to be that day: information professionals, teachers, police, community organizers, computer technicians, historians, confidantes, clerks, social workers, storytellers, or, in this case, guardians of my peace. They were the authors of this opportunity -- diversion from the economy and distraction from snow, protectors of the bubble of concentration I'd found in the maddening world. And I knew they wouldn't disturb me until closing time." p. 252 -- final words.