auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Ground Up: A Novel

Ground Up: A Novel - Idov p.130 "In 2000, when I swapped the Midwest for NY, I knew exactly what I was getting: the limestone canyons and the deco spires and all that jazz from the title sequence of Manhattan. 6 yrs and 0 trips to the Bronx Zoo or Yankee Stadium later, when I thought of the city, the city itself was the last thing that came to mind. I'd stopped looking up or even around. Absent the visual anchor of the Twin Towers, I couldn't even draw the skyline properly, and took that handicap as proof of belonging. Leave the big picture to people who don't live here. For the locals, there's the strangely musical whine of metal on metal as a newer-model Bombardier subway train jerks into motion; the stench of horse manure around the Plaza hotel at the southern corner of Central Park, now busy going condo; the porcelain dog with a broken head in an East Village community garden; the hairy-arm graffito by one Mr. Neck Face that reappears, with some regularity, on various municipal surfaces."p.131 "Listen up, prospective capitalists with a social conscience: vertical integration is awesome and carbon neutrality is and admirable goal, but nothing will test your goody-two-shoes mottoes and credos like a bedraggled, aromatic, altogether shoeless client staggering into your store to make a legitimate purchase. Somehow, I suspect, this ethical bind has never figured into your retail fantasies.... For my part, I upgraded Pink Visor to a loose-leaf Darjeeling and quietly suggested he take it to go. "Have a wonderful weekend," he said, departing. I didn't."p.146 "Fair enough." This was Nina's classic expression. It telegraphed two things at once: she was a) admitting a mistake, and b) going to do absolutely nothing to rectify it. "What else?"