auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Three Weeks with My Brother

Three Weeks With My Brother - Nicholas Sparks, Micah Sparks Nicholas Sparks' story of a 3 week round the world trip with his brother Micah. They are probably still both in their 30's at the time of this trip, but both of their parents and their sister have all died. Nicholas is a bestselling author with a family of 5 kids, and Micah is a successful business owner with a family of 2 kids. So it's a bit unusual for them to take off without their wives and families for an extended, expensive trip -- but the circumstances of losing the rest of their family in succession seems to warrant it, and their families are supportive. Each chapter starts out with the exotic world location they are in, and then segues into their family history, eventually leading to the deaths of each of the family members in turn. Nicholas also reflects on his relationship with his brother over the years. While of interest, it was just okay. Nothing stellar in the writing. Would like to have heard more about the trip, but the nature of the trip itself was a whirlwind, so that may have been difficult to do. Just a couple of page corners turned down:"Afterward I sang the song back to her, and every year after that it was our own secret ritual. We'd sing to each other, just the two of us, and we never told anyone about it. This was our secret, as it would be for years, and after singing to each other, we'd talk for a while. I'd tell her everything -- my hopes and fears and struggles and successes -- and Dana would do the same." Nicholas and his sister shared a birthday, and this is his memory from his seventh-grade birthday. "I hung up my shoes for good, feeling sadness and -- strangely -- relief. With the exception of breaking a school record that still stands after 19 yrs, I'd failed to reach the other goals I had set for myself. But despite the fact that running had been the defining force in my life for the previous seven years, I knew that I'd survive without it.I'd given it my best shot, but it wasn't meant to be. And if I had to do it all over -- and fail to reach my dream again -- I would. When you chase a dream, you learn about yourself. You learn your capabilities and limitations, and the value of hard work and persistence." On giving up running at 19 after a series of injuries.