auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Wrong about Japan

Wrong About Japan - Peter Carey Peter Carey is a novelist (I haven't read his novels yet) and he has a 12 year old who is seriously interested in manga. Charley is shy and hard to reach as he slips into preteen age. Peter proposes a visit to Japan to learn more about manga, facilitated by his contacts in publishing, and as a way of bonding with Charley. "In the end, however, this is exactly where we found ourselves, although "office" hardly describes a place so conspicuously empty of anything that would identify itself as such. I don't mean to suggest that it was minimalist, only that it was unusually large and there was nothing much in it. Was there a mystery here? I seriously doubt it, although this is how it is with travelling -- the simplest things take on an air of great inscrutability and so many questions arise, only to be half born and then lost as they are bumped aside by others. The most mundane events take on the character of deep secrets." p.128