auntieannie

Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner
Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
Jacob Silverman

Songs Without Words

Songs Without Words - Ann Packer Two friends since schooldays. Sarabeth's mother had died by suicide while Sarabeth was in high school, and Sarabeth was unofficially adopted by I-can't-remember-her-name already's family. Fast forward -- now married to Brody and mother to teenage children Joe and ugh -- I can't remember her name either. The girl is depressed and attempts suicide -- although only half-heartedly. I liked the realism of the difficulty the friends had speaking to each other, the difficulty of the husband and wife, the difficulty of the parents and the son, etc. Everyone was uncomfortable and didn't know what to do. That was realistic. The book held my interest, but I didn't really like a lot of the characters. And I was disappointed with how neatly everything ended up, with little effort. On the other hand, it was interesting (and perhaps realistic?) at how badly things went for everyone for a while, when not all that much bad had actually happened.